Monday, January 26, 2009

work:design::tell:story

"design...deserves attention not only as a professional
practice but as a subject of social, cultural, and
philosophic investigation."

--- richard buchanan + victor margolin
(quote from 1/26 design theory & history lecture)


[MULTIVIEW]

definition. having several or different perceptions of something (dictionary.com)

With every situation and with every person, there are going to be different perspectives and opinions. Although this past week we rarely seemed to use the word directly, the idea of multiview was always there. In design studio, our furniture project will develop over 50 different multiviews as everyone has different ideas of how to create their piece of furniture for "Pat". In design theory & history, we look at multiview as the challenge of how to create and use a building in different ways, not just for the primary purpose. Also for design drawing, the class's title is "perception and communication", key word perception. This means that we will learn through the different senses, or in different views.

An example of multiview from the past week is our first quiz of design studio. We were to draw the top, front and side of a wooden model. Displaying three different angles of a model house shows the different perceptions or the multiview that people can view this artifact as. Also, the Buchanan and Margolin quote that I stated at the top explains how design should be seen in multiple ways and should receive attention from each of the ways.





































Another example of multiview are these pop-art type pictures. Each are the same, but different.


[CYLCE]

definition. any complete round or series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated. also can be a group of poems, dramas, prose narratives, songs, etc. about a central theme, figure or the like. (dictionary.com)

I thought cycle was emphasized many times throughout this past week. Most notably in design theory & history, as we study architecture, we learn that buildings must be able to accommodate different functions so there is a cycle of use and reuse. Also, architecture reflects the statement that "history repeats itself". Building styles will come and go as hundreds of years go by and designs return. In design studio, the fairy tales also seemed to have a repeating cycle in them. My fairy tale, "The Juniper Tree", was based around a cycle: a cycle of karma and the saying "what goes around comes around".

For my illustration of a cycle, I chose to post a sketch that I did in my free time of my breakfast one morning this week. This illustration refers to a cycle because breakfast is part of my everyday routine, whether it be the same food it is what I start my day off with everyday.


[TRANSLATION]
definition. the rendering of something into another language or into one's own from another language. (dictionary.com)

The initial thought that comes to mind when I hear the word translation from the past week is of the movie "Midsummer's Night Dream" by William Shakespeare. Watching the movie, I had to translate what the actor's were saying in Roman language to modern day language. This correlates directly with the definition of translation. In a more abstract sense, we used translation in design theory & history as we study the meaning of certain pieces of architecture, as many architects never wrote down the reason why they designed a building the way they did. Each building can be translated to find the meaning or purpose. For example, the World Trade Center can be translated to symbolize the power and might of the United States, but now it has changed due to history.

For an illustrated piece for translation from the past week, I chose to represent my fairly tale projects including my notes and sketches and inspiration board. These images reveal how I translated my fairy tale, "The Juniper Tree".

(inspiration board)


[ARTIFACT]

definition. something created by humans usually for a special purpose (dictionary.com)

Artifacts have always been a huge part of Interior Architecture and the world in general no mind just this week. The first assignment we encountered concerning artifacts this week was for Suzanne to draw five artifacts that mean something to us. My artifacts included a drawing pen, a pair of pearl earrings, my car key, the wall of photos I have in my dormroom, and a thumbtack. In design theory & history, we discuss artifacts all the time defining it as the objects we deal with that shape our world. The first artifact we studies was the nautilus shell as we compared its different chambers and sections to the unavoidable quality of architecture. Hinting back to the definition from Patrick's class, in design studio, we are to design a piece of furniture that, in reality, shapes our world. Every artifact should be functional and have firmness.

To illustrate artifact in this week's OPUS, I chose my first model for the furniture project from design studio. This serves as an artifact that will shape "Pat's" space.





[STORIES]
definition. a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader (dictionary.com)

This week, throughout design studio, design theory & history and design drawing, the idea of stories has developed in the lessons. In design studio, we were given a fiction situation and are told to create a piece of furniture that would meet certain "conditions" in the story. Weaving into design theory & history, we are at the beginning stages of studying architecture. We have begun looking at how certain forms of architecture tell stories of the past by how they are built, decorated and how buildings carry its past with them. Additionally, in design drawing, we wer to draw five artifacts from studio and home that has importanc e to me and has a story behind them. I never realized how there is a story to basically everything including the beginning of this OPUS!

The five illuminated objects that I drew for Suzanne's Design Drawing class is a great example of stories. Each of the five artifacts that I drew have a story as to why it was important to me, whether if was from studio or from home. My five objects were m y car key, a drawing pen, a pair of pearl earrings, the wall of photos in my dormroom, and a thumbtack.





[HOW DO THE ILLUSTRATIONS AND ANNOTATIONS TIE TOGETHER?]

All of the illustrations connect in some form to each other as they are all part of studio work or notes that were taken in any of my IARC classes. My multiview illustration of the model house is very similar to my photographs of my furniture project that I labeled as my artifact from the week. I presented my piece of furniture in my opus with various photographs from all the angles around it. My cycle illustration of my morning breakfast and my illustrations for stories were also very similar as they were both personal, as my breakfast drawing was a drawing I produced in my spare time. This then relates to my 5 drawings that represented stories because for that assignment, I drew 5 artifacts that were important in some way to me. Additionally, the word translation can be similar to stories because we translated the meaning of our fairy tales and with the projects for our fairy tales was, in a way, our translation of the tale. I felt all of the five words for this week's opus were well represented in each of our IARC classes and related to each other in more ways than I had predicted.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kim said...

loves the pearl earrings!